Following the success of its 2020 predecessor, legendary label Blue Note Records is gearing up to bless fans with a second volume of their Re:imagined series. These compilations have given the new generation of UK jazz artists a chance to put their spin on selections from label’s iconic catalogue. They set the tone for Blue Note Re:imagined II with the project's lead single, a cover of celebrated drummer Chico Hamilton’s “The Morning Side Of Love” by South London songbird Ego Ella May.
Ego's daring yet delicate take echoes the luminous, laid-back energy of the original, though it feels a shade darker. Still, the track flows through the listener like a warm breeze, as she infuses her signature style, allowing her vocals to float effortlessly over the eerie keys and deep percussion.
After selecting the track because it “feels like sunshine,” she reflected on the title and what it means to her. She says, “It reminded me of waking up on the bright side of bed. Just being in my own company. Just experiencing love in the little things in my life. Just the simple pleasures in life.”
“The Morning Side Of Love” marks a brilliant introduction to the 16-track album that will feature both long-standing and rising stars from the UK jazz, soul and R&B scene. While we brace for reimagined versions of classics from the greats like Chick Corea, Cassandra Wilson, Thelonious Monk and Bobbi Humphrey, we’re excited for pianist Reuben James’ take on Wayne Shorter’s “Infant Eyes” and Nubiyan Twist’s version of Donald Byrd’s “Through the Noise (Chant 2).”
Given Blue Note’s track record, we’re sure we are in for pleasant surprises from some of the UK’s most talented artists. Vibe out with Ego Ella May’s version of Chico Hamilton's “The Morning Side Of Love” below, and add the track to your collection from your preferred digital platform.
Blue Note Re:imagined II is currently available for pre-order/pre-save before its September 30th release date. Scroll down to view the cover and full tracklist and keep an eye out for more singles from the project in the coming months.
Various Artists Blue Note Re:imagined II tracklist:
1. Yazz Ahmed “It” – From Chick Corea Is (1969)
2. Conor Albert “You Make Me Feel So Good”- From Bobbi Humphrey Fancy Dancer (1975)
3. Parthenope “Don’t Know Why” - From Norah Jones Come Away With Me (2002)
4. Swindle “Miss Kane” – From Donald Byrd Street Lady (1973)
5. Nubiyan Twist “Through The Noise (Chant No.2)” – From Donald Byrd A New Perspective (1963)
6. Ego Ella May “The Morning Side Of Love” - From Chico Hamilton Pereginations (1975)
7. Oscar Jerome & Oscar #Worldpeace “(Why You So) Green With Envy” – From Grant Green Green Street (1961)
8. Daniel Casimir feat. Ria Moran “Lost” – From Wayne Shorter The Soothsayer (1965)
9. Theon Cross “Epistrophy” – From Thelonious Monk Genius Of Modern Music, Vol. 1 (1948)
10. Maya Delilah “Harvest Moon” – From Cassandra Wilson New Moon Daughter (1995)
11. Kay Young “Feel Like Making Love” - From Marlena Shaw Who Is This Bitch, Anyway? (1974)
12. Venna & Marco Bernardis “Where Are We Going” – From Donald Byrd Black Byrd (1972)
13. Reuben James “Infant Eyes” - From Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil (1964)
14. Binker Golding “Fort Worth” - From Joe Lovano From The Soul (1991)
15. Cherise “Sunrise” - From Norah Jones Feels Like Home (2004)
16. Franc Moody “Cristo Redentor”– From Donald Byrd A New Perspective (1963)